Saturday, May 7, 2011

Home's Pun (I Wonder How the Old Folks Are at Home)





Home's Pun from George Terry on Vimeo.


Video Installation. TV, VCR, VHS tape loop, wood, and steel.

Feeling homesick, I mailed my father my video camera, and asked him to record himself playing the guitar and singing one of his favorite songs: "I Wonder How the Old Folks Are at Home." I took the footage he mailed back to me and literally pulled the VHS tape out of the tape and made a physical loop out of it. The spinning wheel I cobbled together out of scrap, and think of it as an icon of the bygone appalachian culture that I grew up at the foot of. When the spinning wheel spins my father sings. It takes great concentration and finesse to see/hear him clearly through the distortions that occur while turning the spinning wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment